After releasing this post about My Happy Plan I've had a lot of readers express interest in having a fitness accountability partner or tell me how difficult it is for them to stay on track with their exercise and eating habits. This got me thinking, if so many of us have this one road block, why not band together to help each other out?
For me, the two hardest things about exercising are 1) Actually getting off my butt to do it and 2) Working out in front of other people. Yes, I have stage fright. For some reason, I've always had a hard time letting my guard down to sing, speak, and even exercise in front of others. I think a lot of this is because I'm nervous that I'll be out-performed. I'm afraid of others seeing how "behind" I am and thinking poorly of me (not that that should matter, but it does). That's why I take my walks in the middle of the morning when everyone's already at work or school, that way no one will see my pathetic butt attempting to do the soccer mom walk.
Yes, I'm pathetic. I know. But for some reason, I just can't get past my stage fright. I've had 2 new friends offer to be my workout buddy locally and I said yes, but never actually committed myself to exercising with them because I'm terrified that they're going to out-perform me. I'm terrified that their skinny little bodies are going to run a mile as easy as pie. I'm scared they're going to want to do Zumba, which would leave my out-of-shape-hot-mess-of-a-body limp on the floor after just 5 minutes. Not only am I worried about them out-doing me, but I'm worried that they'll think badly of me for it. I'm worried that they'll think I'm weak and annoying and pathetic and hold them back. I don't want to be "that girl."
Does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone else have exercise stage fright?
Well, assuming I'm not the only one alone in my laziness and inability to be even an ounce of brave, I've come up with a simple little plan to overcome my fears of exercise and I'm hoping (crossing my fingers) that this will help others as well.
1) To overcome laziness and mediocrity in exercise and healthy eating.
2) To overcome the fear of public exercise.
3) To become healthy women (and men!) who love their bodies enough to take the best care of them.
4) To make friends with other like-minded women with similar struggles.
1) Each Thursday I'll post some of my favorite tips for eating healthy, exercising, and taking the best possible care of our bodies. I'll also include my progress and struggles from the previous week along with my tracking of food/exercise. You, the readers, will post on your own blog, to track your progress for the previous week. At the end of my post there will be a link-up tool where you can link your blog and share your progress and struggles with other participants.
2) You and I can communicate privately through email, if it's more comfortable for some readers. We can use the same outline for tracking our healthy eating and exercising throughout the week, but instead of linking up, we'll email instead.
This is all about becoming more comfortable and confident with our bodies and our exercise. This is about encouraging each other through our struggles and praising each other in our triumphs, no matter how big or small.
So tell me, would you take the challenge? Do you know of any other bloggers (or even non-bloggers) that would benefit from this link-up challenge? Send them my way! The more the merrier! We could all use a little encouragement and support, and building our network is the best way to do that.
If you have any other suggestions, comments, or concerns PLEASE do not hesitate to let me know. I want this to be a GREAT experience for all of us!
I hope you're all enjoying your Friday!